Sunday, April 6, 2008

Top of the rock

Top of the rock
Rockefeller Centre, entrance on 50th St
Top of the rock is one of those sights that you hear about incessantly on forums, but I never really envisioned myself going there, even though it was on my list, and I printed out the discount vouchers… I know that I never would have gone out of my way to see it, but stumbling across it was a great thing to happen to us…
On the way to the diner we spotted Rockefeller centre and impulsively decided to go to top of the rock… I’m not big on views and we had some great views from the tour but I thought its better to try these things then pass them by… So we went up, I forgot my discount pass because I never really thought we would go!
There was a queue to get to the lifts and a man mumbling something about photos being taken around buildings, he was speaking in the same way that the drug dealers in Camden Town (London, UK) offer you ‘hash, weed, skunk’ so I didn’t really get what he was saying and just smiled and said okay cool… He got really offended and it was only a moment afterwards I saw that he had cards in his hand (that he didn’t offer out to us) to get an opportunity to buy any of these pictures he was talking about… blegh… so we followed the people in front and went around the photographer and queued for the elevator…
The ride up was quite scary, the lift was shaking and you could see out the glass roof to be very clear on how far up you are going… the girls next to us were talking about how scared they were only adding to my tension, but very quickly we were out and on the deck…
Once we got through all of the rigmarole and made it though to the top it was quite beautiful!!! I’m not sure how people spend hours there, but we did scoot around to every possible photo angle and snap away… We didn’t go up to the 3rd and highest viewing point as I was tripping about the heights factor on the 2nd deck! But it is worth doing, if only once in your life, I probably wouldn’t do it again…





No comments: