Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Wackness - Melbourne International Film Festival

The Wackness
Melbourne International Film Festival
www.sonyclassics.com/thewackness/



I had heard a lot about this film and it was on our list... When I saw it was playing at the Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF) I booked our tickets immediately... I wasn't quite sure what to expect, and what I got was greatness...

A feel good film set in the mid nineties in Manhattan... Any film shot in the streets of Manhattan automatically engage me because I love that place, and all of the shots in central park were just delightful... The story, one of friendship and love, makes you remember how intense high school love was... The music was mid nineties hip hop, when it was really good, at times the music took away from the dialogue as its so rare to hear tunes that you love in the theatre (I doubt that this was problematic for most people), these tracks remind me of being a teenager in the mid nineties when my then boyfriend introduced me to hip hop...

Some great acting, believable characters, Josh Peck and Ben Kingsely give great performances... The only weirdness was method man giving his character a scary attempt at a Caribbean accent, which threw me, every time he was on... I am usually spellbound by his undeniable charisma, but not this time...

There was some powerful imagery, and humuorous dialogue, but I found the MIFF goers enthusiastic belly laughs at every subtle punch line annoying... There was definite humour but I have heard less laughs at proper funny comedies... Weird...

All in all, I loved this film, will definitely watch it again and suggest you do too!

No comments: