Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins review





As you may have noticed, since getting back from our trip to London and purchasing my kindle, I have been doing a lot of reading... Mostly of the True Blood Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries, then Game of Thrones Songs of Ice and Fire series, and although I wanted to go with something a bit more relaxed and cheesy, I started The Hunger Games trilogy... One of my good mates was reading and suggested I did too! Glad she did because I really enjoyed this book...

First point which I feel really sets you up for the trilogy is that this is a teenage book, not meant for the meticulous minds of adults, this is perfect for me right now after the heavy stories of the last 5 books I have read... This means that it's an easy read, easily digested without too much brainpower... However the message of this story is much more political, and I like it... The biggest thing I got out of it was a reminder of how lucky we are to have our (in most cases) freedom, our government may be effed up, but for the most part we are free to live our lives as we choose in Australia...

The characters are endearing, the story although reminiscent of Battle Royal in the arena, feels original and I would be more then happy for my kids to be reading books like this when they are teenagers... The concept of questioning authority is a good one... You will be sold on Katniss, our heroine, and her story, couldn't wait to start Catching Fire, the next book in the trilogy!!!

Looking forward to seeing the film!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: