Thursday, August 16, 2012

3 year olds notice what is the same about us, not what divides us...

I spend a lot of time with Marley, I have watched as she has begun her quest to find out who she is and where she fits in this world... People say things like hate is taught, sexism, racism, homophobia, xenophobia, all taught... I believe this... When we are out in the world, park, shops, our street, crèche, Marley is constantly working out where she fits in any given situation... She says thinks like, she has blonde hair like me, she has a pink dress like me, he likes cars like me, they like yoghurt like me, she likes black like you mum! Always working out how we, as humans, are all alike...

In my beautiful girls untarnished view, we are all the same, we aren't separated by our race, politics, hate... We are all just people, with lots of similarities... I wish that it stayed as basic as this... Just think, same sex couples could get married, people whose lives were in imminent danger could come and share the awesome life that we have in Australia, there could be peace, joy, love...

If only it was as simple as it was when you were 3...




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: