Monday, August 20, 2012

Meat free Mondays... Jerk (fake) chicken...

Apparently this is a thing in the UK, I don't know anyone who does it over here... However my husband is just about vegan,due to a combination of being vegetarian and dairy intolerance, so most days are meat free in our house! The kids and I eat meat when it's easy to make an alternative...

When it comes up, as it inevitably does, that he is vegan, people say stupid things like 'what do you eat?' or 'that's boring!'... It really doesn't have to be! I do find vegetarian/vegan cookbooks often to be bland, I usually just adapt things that I like to my families requirements! For example, no animal products for Mark, not too spicy for the kids!



The jerk chicken recipe is adapted from the one in Delicious magazine last month:
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 small red onion chopped
1.5 tbsp chopped parsley
1 garlic clove chopped
2cm ginger chopped
1 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
Juice 1 lime
1tbs soy sauce
1tbs brown sugar
2 tbs sunflower oil
300g bag of quorn pieces (fake chicken

Keep aside a tablespoon of the marinade to put into the sauce..

Whizz up everything but the quorn, then put it all in a pan and cook for 10-15 mins on medium heat... Make sure your quorn is fully covered in marinade...

I don't remember which website I got the sauce recipe from originally, but I have changed it a bit over the time I have made it!

Jerk sauce
1tbs oil
1 onion
1 celery stick
1 spring onion
Tbs garlic
Tsp thyme
Tbs jerk marinade - above
Tbs every day seasoning
Tsp sugar
Tbs tomato sauce
150ml vegetable stock

Whizz it all up aside from the stock, cook it on medium to low heat for 15 mins, add the stock at 5 mins, stir in...

Put your cup of rice on at the start of the cooking and you will have it all ready in 25 minutes! It is delicious! If you aren't feeding little ones, substitute the chilli flakes for a whole chilli! And obviously, if you eat animals, substitute the quorn, but my point is that you don't need meat for a flavoursome meal! It feeds 4...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: